Saturday, September 15, 2007

Review: La Estrella-Pasadena


The other week, we decided to grab some dinner over at La Estrella over in Pasadena on Fair Oaks since we always saw long lines there. It is always crowded, especially at night with long lines of hungry eaters that love good Mexican food.

We got ceviche, which was good and very light tasting. The fish wasn't rubbery and the entire thing wasn't salty. For those that don't really know what ceviche is, it's usually raw fish(sometimes cooked shrimp) that is marinated in citrus. The acid in the citrus cooks the fish. It usually has onion, tomatoes and cilantro.


Next up were 4 Chicken soft tacos. They were good. Different places prepare things differently and this place had shredded chicken instead of the diced chicken that I've had more of at Mexican restaurants. We ordered it 'spicy', but since I can tolerate really spicy food, it didn't even seem remotely spicy to me. J thought it was sort of spicy. The average person that doesn't eat a lot of spicy food would have probably been downing Horchata by the bucket.


Lastly for me, Cabeza(head) and Lengua(tongue) tacos. One each.

Are you completely horrified? Well, you shouldn't be. I guarantee that if you like beef tacos, you'll like these. The cabeza taco is just meat from the head with a barely noticeable different texture than that of the meat from the body. The lengua taco didn't really have a different texture to me than the cabeza taco. They were both good.

I haven't tried any of the other food they offer here, but the tacos and ceviche were good. But for now, I'd still say that Puebla Tacos down the street is still my favorite place to go.

502 N Fair Oaks Ave
Pasadena, CA 91103-3304
Phone: (626) 792-8559


-W

No comments: